The weird second when a referee uses a video recorded on a PHONE to rule out late goal


Footage shows the bizarre second a referee makes use of a video recorded on a fan’s PHONE to help overturn a late objective scored in a league match in Egypt… with VAR not current in second-tier games

  • A uncommon moment was caught on digital camera during a second-tier match in Turkey
  • In a match between Suez SC and Al-Nasr, a controversial goal was awarded 
  • The referee then consulted fan footage to overturn his authentic, on-field decision 

A referee dominated out a late aim after using a crowd member’s mobile phone to review an incident throughout a second division match in Egypt on Friday.

The weird second went viral after many have been left bewildered by referee Mohamed Farouk’s choice to use a fan’s cellphone as a alternative for the video assistant referee [VAR].

The match, which was between Suez SC and Al-Nasr, sparked into controversy within the 90th minute when Al-Nasr thought they’d scored a late equaliser.

The players of Suez have been despatched into disbelief by the original, on-field decision and advised that one of the Al-Nasr gamers had been standing in an offside position. 

With VAR not operated in second-tier video games, referee Farouk had to use the phone of a crowd member to return to a conclusive decision on the matter.

The bizarre incident in Turkey was caught on camera by one of many match spectators

Referee Mohamed Farouk used footage from a mobile phone to overturn his decision

Referee Mohamed Farouk used footage from a cell phone to overturn his decision

Farouk had initially allowed a late Al-Nasr goal to stand, despite the scorer being offside

Farouk had initially allowed a late Al-Nasr aim to stand, regardless of the scorer being offside

The players of Suez SC were in disbelief, initially, when Farouk decided to award the goal

The gamers of Suez SC have been in disbelief, initially, when Farouk decided to award the goal

In der 2. Liga in #Ägypten gibt es eigentlich keinen VAR. In der Partie Suez SC v Al-Nasr entschieden sich Schiedsrichter Mohamed Farouk und sein Team gestern aber, einen 2:2-Ausgleich in der 90. auf dem Handy eines Zuschauers anzuschauen, um weitere Ausschreitungen zu verhindern

— Henning (@henhink) March 18, 2023

There have been murmurs via the group as they eagerly awaited the official’s ruling. After cautious consideration, Farouk overturned his authentic call on the objective and disallowed it.

Fifteen minutes of stoppage time have been added and Suez won the sport 3-1.

The referee left the pitch underneath police safety, amid protests from Al-Nasr players and officers, who threatened to take legal motion against the referee for violating the laws.

Reports from BaladTV recommend that the match might be replayed, ought to the nation’s Referee Committee determine that inappropriate measures were taken. 

The same outlet claim that the nation’s League Association remains to be awaiting a report from the committee before making any ultimate judgements on the matter. 

It remains to be seen what conclusion that they may come to but, after labelling it a ‘catastrophic mistake’, it can be expected for the match to be replayed. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here